Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wait, what?!

For those of you who have never lived in Santiago you may not be aware of how essential the metro (subway system) is to the way of life in this city. Hundreds of thousands of people use it every day and if you catch it at just the right time (between 7 - 8 am and 5:30 - 8 pm) you are just lucky enough to even get on amidst the masses of people. There is a yellow line painted about a foot and a half away from the track and there is a law that you are to stay behind said yellow line until the metro approaches, as shown in the picture.
I have now had the conversation with a variety of people, seeing as I use the metro multiple times each day, about how weird it would be if someone jumped into the tracks. I know, morbid, right? Well It's just a thought. Anyway, yesterday on my way home from school I had to transfer from the green to the red line and after letting one train pass me by (because of all the people) I decided to jump on the next one. Phewfta, made it. Well after 3 stops the train comes to an abrupt stop and the lights go out. What?! The announcer came on over the loud speaker within a few minutes and told us that someone had crossed the "line of safety" (a.k.a. yellow line!) and although people may step over it occasionally as the train approaches, the train would never stop for somebody simply stepping across the line. Wow, apparently I wasn't the only person in 5.5 million people itching to find out what happens when you admit yourself to the steel tracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment