Tuesday, March 2, 2010

From Puerto Montt to Santiago...

Saludos, amigos!

I am currently plopped in a Centro de llamadas (a.k.a. an internet café) in Puerto Montt, Chile. Despite the road conditions from here to Santiago we were able to obtain bus tickets to leave here at 11 pm tonight and make our way back home. Although being in Chiloé was a really fun experience, I am ready to be back in Santiago with Mamá María, and see what we can do to help out. It sounds like there are already some campaigns starting, and there is no way I am going to sit around and do nothing! I am mortified by what happened here, especially with the tsunami and all of the raids of stores etc that have been going on, but we have been so removed and far from it that it is hard to believe it is real. I suppose we will see when we get back to Santiago just what kind of straits the city is in, and I will also be able to update you with my fun stories from Chiloé, because it really is extremely beautiful! It is crazy to think that something so devastating can happen in one part of the country, yet the hills and beaches that we were seeing just remain untouched, unaware of everything. I am so thankful for being as fortunate as I am, and until I can actually get back and help out, everyone else in Chile will remain in my prayers and I hope in all of yours as well! If you want to read up a little bit about it here is the NY Times version of the devastation, even though it does not compare to the footage we have seen on the news down here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/world/americas/02chile.html?pagewanted=1&em

Until next time, St. Christopher, patron of travelers, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment