Sunday, March 14, 2010

You should see the stars tonight..

(Song reference: Stars by David Crowder Band, I recommend)

For those of you who are not currently in Chile, Sunday night 90% of the country was fortunate enough to experience a complete power outage! Apparently it has nothing to do with the recent earthquakes and aftershocks but is rather linked to a problem with the transformer. Hmmm.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/14/widespread-power-blackout-hits-chile/


I was walking to a nearby café with Ellie around 8:30 pm and all of a sudden all the lights in the entire city (stoplights, houses, street lights, etc) just turned off. It was weird walking around one of the biggest cities in South America in complete darkness! We still made it to the café and had our much-anticipated ice cream by candlelight and after about 45 minutes with still no lights we decided we would just start walking back.

Although a little frightening, this blackout offered the best view of the stars that I have seen since I've been here and reminded me that all of my loved ones back home are seeing the same stars as me. In fact, the view was so incredible that I decided to write a special post simply dedicated to that.

Although I obviously did not take this picture, this is what the sky looked like!

No comments:

Post a Comment