Sunday, February 7, 2010

Maybe my bark is not worse than my bite?


After another day of sunshine and 90 degree weather I am settling in after a dinner consisting of a peach and a postre with dulce de leche and a nice long conversation with my host mom and grandmother. Que lindas son.

This beautiful weather makes it very easy to travel downtown and walk around, which is exactly what we did yesterday. Five of us girls went to the famous La Moneda, which is where there is an infamous changing of the guards ceremony every day? or 4 times a month? or every other day? We never actually figured that out, even after asking multiple guards. Hopefully our stars align just right and the next time we are in the area they happen to have the ceremony. Sometimes, that is how just how things work out for me.

Last night we went and experienced some of the Santiago nightlife which consisted of: pisco sours, which are a drink consisting of a special type of liquor with little bit of raw egg for an unappealing texture and some sugar.. they basically just grossed me out, but it was a relaxed, non-threatening environment. A group of us sat outside for a few hours chatting it up, enjoying the beautiful evening. Afterward we made our way to what I would call a ginormous dance party. It was awesome. I am used to the "good" bars and clubs being kind of a secret, but for nearly all of the bars and clubs here, men come out and advertise their bar, the nightly specials, and how the ladies can enter for free. So that is what we did, and we had a lot of fun. It was surprisingly safe as well! This was also where I had the opportunity to sing karaoke for the first time in my life (in public)! What a rush! For anyone who may know me the song choice will not come as a surprise--it was none other than the all-time favorite, Living on a Prayer. We stayed out late, but not with the best of 'em--most people that go out may not come home until six in the morning! I made it home at the early hour of 4 am and slept in, waking up a little after 11, just in time for la Santa Misa (mass) at noon. The church is called Nuestra Señora de las Nieves (Our Lady of the Snows), and it is the best parish family feel I have had in a long time, even though I didn't meet a single person nor am a part of their parish family--there is plenty of time for that!

After lunch with the family I walked 35 minutes to my friend Laura's house and when we walked to the metro station to meet Steph a female dog nearly attacked us! She was laying in front of the gate (many families have dogs, but they are BEHIND the gates), and she just jumped up, started barking and really did her job of protecting the house-she bit Laura's hand! Yikes. I guess I'll be taking a different way next time!
All in all another wonderful day in Chile. I could really get used to this no classes deal.
Que lo pases bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment