Friday, July 16, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle.

I am writing to all of you from our last night of our Jungle Trail to Machu Picchu here in Aguas Calientes, Perú. So far the trip has been absolutely amazing and getting better each day. As you already know our trip to the jungle was delayed by one day but it was almost an answer to our prayers. Not only did it allow Kate another day to accustom herself to the altitude but it also gave the three of us an opportunity to explore a little more of Cuzco and have a fun, chill day. We went horseback riding for $5 each near some old Incan ruins and then went to a pretty cool market that had everything under the sun, literally. There were artisan crafts up the wazzoo, loads of fresh fruit juice stands, a meat market, fresh vegetables and pastas, wood crafts, pharmaceutical products and more. It was fun to bargain with the shopkeepers and practice our Spanish at the same time. I especially love when someone asks Kate something in Spanish, she thinks for a second and then just looks to me for some help. I am more than glad to do that as long as she doesn't mind and maybe this will help me decide what I want to do with my future... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Our Jungle Trail started out without a hitch on Wednesday morning. We got in a van for a few hours and headed straight to just shy of the top of a mountain at 4316 meters (roughly 14,160 feet for those U.S. citizens) and did the unthinkable (for some): we biked down. This road was much different than the "world's most dangerous" due to its nice paved path and the fact that our guide went in front of us holding his helmet in his hand and taking only two breaks along the way. It was so much fun to bike through the mountains without a care in the world, that is until an occasional tour bus would pass through or until we came to the construction at the bottom. At first the smell of turned-up dirt was great and reminded me of dad but when we actually ran into the other, less-experienced tour groups in front of us who didn't exactly know how to use their brakes we ran into a bit of trouble. No worries though, within no time we were lounging on a grassy knoll atop of an old Incan sacrificial site overlooking Mt. Veronica and enjoying the avocado sandwiches provided for us by P.I.E. Peru, our tour company.

We hopped back in the van after lunch, through the humid jungle and to Santa Maria, a miniscule spot on the map and spent the night there talking, playing spoons and most importantly laughing like little girls - yes, even Max. The next day included a hike up the actual Inca trail, a stop at a woman's house to visit her pet monkey and see the coffee drying process and of course get well-bit by our old friends, the mosquitoes. It reminded me just how long it has been since I have actually seen a mosquito, or bug for that matter, and unfortunately I was irresponsibly unprepared with no bug spray. Let's just say we'll have some nice battle wounds to bring back with us from this neck of the woods. That night included a stay in a different tiny town, Santa Teresa and we stayed at my favorite place yet-an EcoLodge. Our room was under a thatched roof and there were individual mosquito nets over each one of the beds to keep the bugs out and believe me, they were necessary. I fell asleep to the rocking of the floor beneath me, the sound of the Urubamba River running over rocks in the near distance and the soothing Quechua music playing downstairs. It was surprisingly one of the best nights of sleep I have had since I've been on vacation as well as the best experience. The food and service were great and while taking turns in the shower we also met some fellow Midwesterners which of course lifted our spirits.

Today we had a tough hike up to Llactapata which provides a side view of the Machu Picchu ruins as well as the surrounding mountains and river. It was absolutely breathtaking and is making me even more excited for tomorrow-our early morning trip to Waynapicchu for a stellar view of the old, Incan city! I have been waiting to do this ever since that day in 9th grade when Maestro G pointed at his poster and told us some random fact about Machu Picchu. I always knew I've wanted to go but never thought I'd actually have the opportunity so let's just say I'm pretty thrilled. The hike today was definitely a killer but luckily we were able to do it without our packs (nothing like the one we did in Torres but I'm also definitely not in that kind of shape) and were awarded a delicious, Peruvian lunch when we got to the top.This jungle environment is definitely cooler than I had ever imagined and I feel so fortunate to have been able to choose this tour! There are heaps of tours to Machu Picchu coming out of Cuzco but this is the only one that actually does the hike we did today and so far they have treated us like royalty. Our guides are great, the food has been delicious and our hostels have all been top notch. The interesting part is that we are being strewn in and out of extreme poverty in these towns yet are able to have showers, warm meals and comfortable beds to sleep in each night. It feels surreal but also reminds me just how blessed we really are.

My favorite parts of the Jungle trail so far:
Being in the jungle with Kate.
Speaking Spanish with the tour guides and helping them with translations.
The shortcuts that only the guide, Max, Kate and I took on the first day's bike ride.
Attempting to make silly videos on my Flip camera with Max.
Pretending Steve Schecher is with us even though sadly, he is not.
Seeing a beautiful waterfall on today's hike.
Going to an elementary school dance competition last night in Santa Teresa.
Sleeping under mosquito nets.
The mixed salad and Hawaiian pizza I ate tonight instead of chicken and french fries with rice. I mean, it is delicious but you can only eat so many starches in one day.
Having Kate stitch up the hole in my blue jeans.
...And after tomorrow I should be able to add seeing Machu Picchu!

I should get to bed, 3:30 am wake-up call!

Besitos,
Kelsey Marie

1 comment:

  1. In a vain way, this post makes me so happy. And now you can´t say people don´t comment.

    ReplyDelete