Thursday, July 1, 2010

Is it possible to sleep for 24 hours straight?

Answer: Quite possibly. In the last day and a half I have never slept more in my life. It might be due to the fact that I have slept very little lately preparing for my "rigorous" exams and packing. Luckily that 24 hour bus was almost entirely slept through.

Currently it is 10 am here in San Pedro de Atacama and Laura and I made it without a hitch! I am sitting in a tiny internet cafe finishing up my last exam, listening to Def Leppard's famous hit, "Love Bites", the sound of bicycles go by on the dirt road outside and enjoying the wofting (ever-present) smell of cigarette smoke. Oh how I will miss Chile. We boarded the Tur Bus at 9:35 pm on Tuesday night and arrived here exactly 24 hours later, to an extremely pitched black city. The bus ride went smoothly and we showed up at our hostal to a nice surprise: it's no ordinary hostal. It was included in our tour but is actually really nice ($70/night). We slept like queens and were able to relax, it was really nice.Although I am excited to travel I must say (one more time) that saying goodbye to Mama, Ellie, and my room were a little hard. I am going back on the 19th for a couple of hours but there will already be a new mina living there and Mama Maria won't just be my Chilean mama anymore. But, así es la vida. As much as I would like to I can't stay there forever.

Laura and I woke up to an already prepared breakfast at our hostal and did a little walking around this quaint little town. It is amazing to see such a cute little indigenous city that is based entirely off of tourists. I did have the opportunity to upload some pictures so here is where we will be sleeping for the next 2 nights as well as a cute little atacameño town, San Pedro. Not only is it chiquitito, but so is everything (buildings for example) in it.
We both can't believe everything that is in store for us in the next couple of weeks! Today we will be going to Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon) and spending the beautiful sunny day in San Pedro! I sure could get used to this!

More to come,
Besitos!
Kelsey Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment